Monday, September 27, 2010

Book Review: Masquerade

Masquerade
Masquerade
By Nancy Moser
Bethany House, 2010
English, 400 pgs.


Book Description:

Moser writes inspirational fiction with a strong, historically accurate foundation in this new offering, set in 1885 in New York City. Twin protagonists Charlotte Gleason, wealthy English heiress, and Dora Connors, her maid, decide to take fate (and love) in their own hands and switch places upon their arrival in America. Dora, having never experienced material comfort, jumps at the chance to "become" Charlotte and marry a very wealthy American suitor, Conrad Tremaine, in Charlotte's stead. Charlotte, whose idea it was to trade places, finds herself penniless and on the Streets of New York, alone and desperate. Both young women find themselves utterly discombobulated and ill-at-ease pretending to be the other. Through some expected plot twists, Charlotte and Dora learn a few tricks, and lessons, about life. In the end, they find their way back to being comfortable in their own skins. Moser's work is nicely done and thoroughly entertaining throughout, even with a predictable storyline. --Publishers Weekly

1886, New York City: Charlotte Gleason, a rich heiress from England, escapes a family crisis by traveling to America in order to marry the even wealthier Conrad Tremaine. She soon decides that an arranged marriage is not for her and persuades her maid, Dora, to take her place. What begins as the whim of a spoiled rich girl wanting adventure becomes a test of survival amid poverty beyond Charlotte's blackest nightmares. As for Dora, she lives a fairy tale complete with gowns, jewels, and lavish mansions--yet is tormented by guilt and the presence of another love that will not die. Will their masquerade be discovered? Will one of them have second thoughts? There is no guarantee the switch will work. It's a risk. It's the chance of a lifetime.

To see a book trailer for Masquerade go HERE.

My Review:
This was my first Nancy Moser novel and I really liked it. There were several times that I thought I knew what was about to happen and sometimes I was right, lots of times, I was wrong! I love that! I loved the description of the garments and was heartbroken by the accuracy of the descriptions of Five Points. I have a few friends who I'll be passing this to since I know they're going to love it too!


I was provided with a copy of the book from Bethany House in exchange for a review. No additional compensation has been received and I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments: