Friday, September 10, 2010

Book Review: Outlive Your Life

Outlive Your Life: You Were Made to Make A Difference
Outlive Your Live: You Were Made to Make a Difference
By Max Lucado
Thomas Nelson, 2010
English, 240 pgs.


Book Description:
These are difficult days in our world's history. 1.75 billion people are desperately poor, natural disasters are gouging entire nations, and economic uncertainty still reigns across the globe. But you and I have been given an opportunity to make a big difference. What if we did? What if we rocked the world with hope? Infiltrated all corners with God's love and life? We are created by a great God to do great works. He invites us to outlive our lives, not just in heaven, but here on earth. Let's live our lives in such a way that the world will be glad we did.

My Review:
This was my kick in the teeth. My husband is a pastor. My degree is in religion. Yet I do nothing.

I used to. I used to give to the local food pantry (true, it was easy when we went to that church). I've gone on a few mission trips. I've fed homeless people in Detroit. I've cleaned halls and bathrooms in a shelter in North Houston.

But I cringe when someone comes to my door asking for help. I cry over the countless little girls who are being sexually abused in Asia, but I've never donated to a cause to help. I can't even look at the pictures of the kids with facial deformities in the magazines. I turn the channel when the sponsor a kid commercials come on. I can't look at kids in pain. I can't look at the struggle their lives and cannot handle the thought that I can't.

I look at my blog "tagline" and "button"...We are blessed so we may be a blessing to others. I feel like a hypocrite right now. The last thing I did to directly help someone was give sanitary pads to the local college health center. Did it change a life? Probably not. Did it show some random girl here that people in this town care about them? I hope so. 

This is MY personal call to action!

"No one can do everything. But everyone can do something."

Matthew 25: 31-3631"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
 34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
 37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
 40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
 41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'
 44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'
 45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
 46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Compassion isn't a new concept. Just a forgotten one. It's our duty to look after those who cannot look after themselves. There are so many ways you can help. Here...I'll give you the links so you don't have to hunt for them...

BrightPoint For Children: Christ-centered, child sponsorship organization through which sponsors can provide for the basic needs and education of impoverished children wherever they may live.

Compassion International: Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults.

World Vision: Christian humanitarian organization dedicated to working with children, families, and their communities worldwide.

Samaritan's Purse:  Our emergency relief programs provide desperately needed assistance to victims of natural disaster, war, disease, and famine. As we offer food, water, and temporary shelter, we meet critical needs and give people a chance to rebuild their lives.

The Water Project:  You can make an enormous impact on hundreds of lives by sponsoring a clean water well in Africa.

UNICEF:  Working in over 150 countries, UNICEF provides children with health care, clean water, nutrition, education, emergency relief, and more.

World Hope International: We go to remote areas and partner with people in an effort to bring healing, restoration and positive, sustainable change. Our programs offer opportunity, dignity and hope in places where those things are usually in short supply. 

GoNow! Missions:  Go Now Missions is committed to sending Texas university students to share the love of Christ across the world.


I'm not sure where our support is going yet, my husband hasn't read the book yet and I will wait for his leadership in this matter, but my outlook is changed. I can't sit by and not do anything anymore. I don't know what this stirring in my soul will bring. You CANNOT read this book and not be affected. You can't hear these stories and not want to do something.


I received a copy of the book in exchange for a review from BookSneeze. I have received no additional compensation and was not required to write a positive review. I have not checked out each and every organization on a personal level, but these are some that I have seen recommended in the past or have known someone who was involved with them.

No comments: