Friday, June 10, 2011

Book Review: The Lady of Bolton Hill

Lady of Bolton Hill, The
The Lady of Bolton Hill
By Elizabeth Camden
Bethany House, 2011
English, 334 pgs


Description:
Female journalists are rare in 1879, but American-born Clara Endicott has finally made a name for herself with her provocative articles championing London's poor. When the backlash from her work forces a return home to Baltimore, Clara finds herself face-to-face with a childhood sweetheart who is no longer the impoverished factory worker she once knew. In her absence, Daniel Tremain has become a powerful industry giant and Clara finds him as enigmatic as ever. However, Daniel's success is fueled by resentment from past wounds and Clara's deeply-held beliefs about God's grace force Daniel to confront his own motives. When Clara's very life is endangered by one of Daniel's adversaries, they must face a reckoning neither of them ever could have foreseen. 


Review:
I was somewhat reluctant to read this since I've been a little underwhelmed with historical Christian romance books lately. This one exceeded my expectations and has made me slightly more interested in the genre again.

The story is really sweet: adolescent friends who were separated when it seemed they were falling for each other are reunited many years later and discover that neither is what was expected. There was a wonderful redemption and forgiveness thread to the story that really warmed my heart. I cried at one part and I don't cry when I'm reading anymore, usually.

I really liked this book and am really glad I gave it a chance.

I received a copy of the book in exchange for a review. No compensation has been received and I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments: