Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Book Review: Resignation of Eve

The Resignation of Eve: What if Adam's Rib is no Longer Willing to be the Church's Backbone?
By Jim Henderson
Tyndale, 2012
English, 320 pgs


Description:
Why millions of today’s most committed church members may be ready to bolt—and what to do about it
In talking with women around the country, Jim Henderson has come to believe that an epidemic of quiet, even sad resignation is developing among dedicated Christian women who feel overworked and undervalued in the church. As a result, many women are discouraged. Some, particularly young women, respond by leaving the organized church . . . or walking away from the faith altogether.

The Resignation of Eve is a field report on what women have to say about how they’ve been affected—both positively and negatively—by their experiences within the church. Listening to their stories is crucially important because, across the board, the research shows that women are driving changes in the church. What will happen if many of them resign?

It’s time to pay attention before it’s too late—time to follow in the footsteps of Jesus, who went out of his way to honor, elevate, and work through women wherever he went.

Containing personal interviews with women and surprising research from George Barna, The Resignation of Eve is a game-changing, conversation-starting book for women who have been engaged in the Christian church, as well as for their pastors and ministry leaders.

Review:
I was really interested in reading this because I have been feeling unappreciated in working for our church. I've seen lots of other women feeling this way. I didn't expect this to be a series of stories in a collection. I understand why it's written in this way, but it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be. The women in the stories are all relateable and honest and I appreciate them telling their stories.

It's my opinion that this feeling of resignation is what leads to resentment and ultimately women not wanting to be in a church. This is a very relevant book that I believe ministers need to read. Mainly to make sure this doesn't happen in their churches.

I received a copy of the book in exchange for a review. No additional compensation has been received and I was not required to write a positive review.

3 comments:

megan said...

Amy, you say you feel unappreciated in your church.That is certainly unfortunate. what would make you feel appreciated? Would it be word of thanks or recognition? Would it be a chance to serve in a more influential postion?..say, one that a male currently holds? I guess I am trying to understand what women need.Do they want to be appreciated or do they want more power and influence?

ElaineSH said...

Thanks for the thoughtful review of Jim's book. I am currently a church refugee having left after feeling I was no longer seen, heard, or valued. More than that, I felt punished for being myself. (Having been part of church since my early childhood - making it more than 50+ years of my life, it was after being on staff a my church - a megachurch that I began to leave. I have not been a regular attendee of any church in more than 3 years.)

I would like to invite you and your readers to our upcoming free - Resignation of Eve Cloud Conference on Feb. 27 @8pm EST – you only need a telephone to join the call and have a chance to participate in a conversation with Jim and the women of RoE when we virtually break you into small groups. http://myaccount.maestroconference.com/conference/register/D5YMSUE4530RMOB – Hope you are able to join us. Thanks, Elaine Hansen

ElaineSH said...

Thanks for your thoughtful review of the book. I work with Jim Henderson. I am currently a church refugee. It leaves me sad to think after having spent more than 50 years in the church, my last 5 years were spent being bullied by leadership.

My desire is that all be able to use their gifts as God has called them to use them.

I would like to invite you and your readers to our upcoming Resignation of Eve Cloud Conference on Feb. 27 @8pm EST – you only need a telephone to join the call and have a chance to participate in a conversation with Jim and the women of RoE when we virtually break you into small groups. http://myaccount.maestroconference.com/conference/register/D5YMSUE4530RMOB