Focus on the Family
Tyndale House, 2012
English, 258 pgs
Available October 1, 2012
Written by the Adventures in Odyssey team, 90 Devotions for Kids provides fun, Bible-based devotions for families and will encourage children to spend time learning more about God. There are no better mentors than Whit and the folks from Odyssey to partner with parents as they teach their children about God’s Word and make the truths of the Bible accessible to their kids.
AIO’s 90 Devotions for Kids includes thirteen weeks of devotions. Sidebars from Odyssey favorites Wooton, Whit, Connie, and Eugene provide friendly suggestions for life applications. Each week has an individual theme and will include an overview to introduce the theme, seven devotions that reference AIO dramas, and an activity, puzzle, or game to reinforce the core biblical truths taught during the week. Parents will find the tools they need to help start children on a path toward regular time alone with God, and families will be encouraged to spend time together as they share the daily readings.
From the Back CoverDiscover, Imagine, Grow!
Join Whit, Connie, Eugene, Wooton, and your other friends from the exciting world of Odyssey and DISCOVER tried-and-true biblical truths— like salvation, prayer, and forgiveness, and many others—that form the core values of Christianity.
Through historical stories, modern biography, Bible adventures, and key scenes from Adventures in Odyssey radio dramas, you’ll IMAGINE what it’s like to be a hero of the faith.
As you read each inspiring entry alone or with your family, you’ll be informed and challenged to GROW in your walk with God. Each devotion features a relevant Bible verse.
Special Features for Each Theme
- Creative Daily Challenge ideas to keep kids thinking about each lesson long after they’ve finished reading it
- Fun activities to involve the whole family in biblical learning and accountability
- Lessons drawn from favorite Adventures in Odyssey audio dramas
- Theme puzzles to reinforce the spiritual lessons in thought-provoking ways
- Whit and Wisdom—Friend and mentor John Avery Whittaker explains important Bible truths in easy-to-understand language
- Connie’s Corner—Connie relates spiritual applications to her own life
- Loquacious Learning with Eugene—Odyssey’s favorite intellectual shares important cultural and biblical facts
- Wandering with Wooton—Musings from the wacky postman on all things licorice and godly
I've been reading this for a month with my son and I've noticed a few things:
1. He has no frame of reference for who the characters are
2. He has been asking questions about the daily stories
3. He has been better behaved and seems to be understanding what we've been teaching
So, yes, I heartily recommend this book. It will be more effective if your kids have any idea who the Adventure in Odyssey characters are, but it will be just fine if they don't.
Each week (13 total) has a theme which the studies will follow and 7 daily lessons. None of them are long at all. Each week has a memory verse to study and learn as well as daily challenges which take the learning deeper than just what's printed in the book.
Every day has an aside from one of the characters and I've noticed that my son really likes Eugene because he loves learning facts and word meanings.
I'm really pleased with this book and will continue to use it and will probably start over at the beginning when we're done!
I received a copy of the book in exchange for a review and participation in a blog tour. No additional compensation has been received and I was not required to write a positive review.