Sunday, March 9, 2014

Book Review: When I Grow Up I Want to be a Firefighter!

When I Grow Up I Want to be a Firefighter!
By Wigu Publishing
Wigu Publishing, 2014
English, 60 pgs

Description:
Will was excited to go on his class field trip, until he learned they would be touring the local firehouse. Now, he is dreading the trip. For as long as he can remember, Will has been afraid of fire and, worse than that, firefighters! Though he knows firefighters are heroes who do dangerous work, to him they are giants in heavy coats and masks. As he journeys with his class through the fire station, Will and readers alike are introduced to the exciting world of firefighting. Can Will overcome his fears and maybe even learn something surprising about himself?

Review:
My 4 year old loves firefighters and fire trucks. Ever since we started asking "What do you want to be when you grow up?" the answer is always "A Fireman!" I was so very excited to get to read and review this book for that very purpose!

The story line is well described above so I won't rehash that. The book starts out with a poem "Ode to our Firemen" from 1878! How cool it is to have that included. I love that the pictures in the book are real photos with cartoon people over them. I feel like it gives the book a real, yet "it could be me" feeling. There are pages throughout that are not directly part of the story, but show more information. For example, there are pages on different types of fire crews, a map of a firehouse, a picture of a fire suit with descriptions and different types of fire trucks and vehicles.

At the back is a checklist for family fire safety as well as a plan for making an evacuation route.

My favorite part of the book, however is that the fireman tells Will that his is afraid of fire, but more afraid of people being hurt by fire. Love that!


My son will only read it when he has his full firefighter costume on! He loves the book and asks for it a lot!

There are other books in the series, including US Army, Teacher, Race Car Driver, Nurse and Police Officer. I foresee us reading a lot of them!

I received a copy of the book in exchange for a review. No additional compensation has been received and I was not required to write a positive review. Many thanks to Kim at Wigu for including me in the book review.












No comments: