Monday, April 7, 2014

Book Review: A Sensible Arrangement

A Sensible Arrangement
By Tracie Peterson
Bethany House, 2014
English, 336 pgs

Description:
Marty Dandridge Olson is ready to leave behind the pain of the past.
Answering an advertisement for a "Lone Star bride," she leaves her Texas ranch and heads to Denver to marry a man she doesn't know.

Jake Wythe is the man waiting for her.
Burned by love, he marries now simply to satisfy the board of Morgan Bank, which believes a man of his standing in society should be wed. Together Jake and Marty agree they are done with romance and love and will make this nothing more than a marriage of convenience.

When missing money and a collapsing economy threaten his job, Jake's yearning to return to ranching grows ever stronger, much to Marty's dismay. But a fondness has grown between them, as well, further complicating matters.

What will happen when their relationship shifts in unexpected ways...and dreams and secrets collide?
 
Review:
This is the first book in the Lone Star Brides series from Peterson. It's also her 100th novel. I have read many of her books and I mostly liked this one. I thought it took a little while to get going with the story line. I didn't really like that Marty is lying to her family and then Jake. I understand that she's "mad" at God regarding her first husband but that doesn't mean you lie to everyone. I liked the main characters and even though they had their faults, they're still well developed and their characters progresses through the book in a satisfactory manner.
I liked the secondary characters in the book as much as the primary. Alice is a sweet character who guides Marty, even though she's much younger, back into a relationship with God. The housekeeper and butler were a hoot! I guess I've watched too much Downton though because I saw Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson in my mind as I was reading it.

I felt like parts of it were left hanging. The problems at the bank and the mystery surrounding Alice, for example. The ranch. I don't know if these are plot lines for upcoming books or what, but it was kinda disappointing to feel like I read half of the story.

My biggest problem with the book is that there really isn't much interaction with Marty and Jake. Obviously we know what the end result is going to be, but I wanted more of the "how did they fall in love" to the story. Did she even like the flowers he was taking her? Did they go out to dinners? Did they talk beyond the breakfast table or in the study?

I received a copy of the book from Bethany House for a review. No additional compensation has been received and I was not required to write a positive review.



No comments: