Thursday, February 25, 2016

Book Review: Veggie Tales Bible

Veggie Tales Bible
By Zondervan, 2013
English, 1344 pgs

Description:
In the VeggieTales Bible, Bob the Tomato, Larry the Cucumber, and all their VeggieTales friends invite children to join them and get to know the Bible. In this full-text New International Reader’s Version (NIrV) Bible, each feature is specially designed to help children understand and love God’s Word.

Review:
I love it.

I guess I need to tell you more than that though. I got this for my 6 year old who is rocking his way through the Awana program at our church. Every week they get points for bringing their Bible and he's been upset that he only has a small Gideon style New Testament. We tried a picture style Bible with just a few stories. That wasn't anything that kept his attention. (In fact, he gave it away to someone who didn't have a Bible at all.)

So, I decided to get him his very own, every book included, Bible. We was over the moon about it. He was excited to have "every word, and every verse". He is still learning to read so he just flips through and looks at how it's arranged and the pictures, etc. But he's so excited to have his own copy of God's Word. (Wish everyone reacted that way.)

The Bible itself is in the New International Reader's Version, which I think is pretty easy to read and I haven't found any major complaints on the translation. I love that there are several Veggie Tales comic book style stories throughout the pages. Some are where you would find the Bible story that inspired it. For example, Dave and the Giant Pickle is where you will read about King David. This isn't the way for all of them though. Esther, the Girl Who Became Queen is in Psalms and Rack, Shack and Benny is in Isaiah. I think it's done more in the way to spread the stories evenly than to match up to the books.

Each book has an introduction which is quick and gives a general overview. And there are lots of "Veggie Values" throughout which point out themes in the Bible and give you ways to apply and understand them in life. There's a fairly short dictionary and several pages for notes at the back.

I received a copy of the Bible in exchange for a review on this blog and a commercial bookselling website. No additional compensation has been received and I was not required to write a positive review.




No comments: