Friday, October 30, 2009

Thomas Nelson Book Review

Finding Purpose Beyond Our Pain, by Paul Meier MD and David Henderson, MD

This book is about seeing God and His purpose in the midst of trials and pain. This book is not going to tell you how to avoid pain, but it will help you if you are struggling with one of the 7 life challenges is addresses (Injustice, Rejection, Loneliness, Loss, Discipline, Failure, Death). It is informative and well-researched. It definitely belongs in any church/pastoral library.

The book assumes the reader has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior. I wish it had something at the beginning to introduce the plan of Salvation for those who may stumble across this book and need the hope it gives.

Each section stands alone. So I decided to start with Death, since we’ve dealt with a lot of family members’ deaths this year. I was disappointed. The section is about dealing with your own death. I was hoping for encouragement and was disappointed.

So I moved on to loneliness. That’s another area in which I struggle. I found myself reading and re-reading the section. There were so many “nuggets” of truth and wisdom that I spent a lot of time here.

The rest of the sections are really good as well. The authors don’t go so far as to tell you “get off your pity party” but they help you realize that what you are struggling with is an age old problem. You’re not the first and you won’t be the last.

I definitely feel stronger as a result of reading the book. I recommend it enthusiastically.

I am a member of Thomas Nelson’s Book Review Blogger program. Go here to learn more about the program: http://brb.thomasnelson.com/

I received no compensation for my opinion on this book, other than a free copy of the book.

No comments: