Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Eat From the Pantry Challenge


I've seen several bloggers mention this lately so I decided to take the Challenge!

Our rules are:

1. As much as possible comes from already bought foods.

2. One grocery trip per week for fresh items (meats, produce, dairy) and formula.

3. Only items that are FREE will be bought at CVS and Walgreens.

4. Spend less than $150 on food (formula kicks up the amount) in January. (Separate $50 budget for Pull-Ups, with the hope that this is the last month we have to buy them!)

I started looking through our pantry and freezer and can only make 16 dinners out of what we have. Post-partum blahs have depleted a lot of stockpile.

I will personally eat cereal every morning and our lunches will be sandwiches, soups, and quick meals with things we already have.

I'll have to get creative with the rest of the month and may end up having to up the budget a bit. I'll post a menu for the week every Monday, along with a "how-we're-doing" update.

Let me know if you want to take the challenge too!

Since the 1st isn't a Monday, here's what we have for the 1st-3rd:

Friday - Spaghetti with Meat Sauce and Green Beans (meat sauce was power cooked before I gave birth) - no shopping necessary

Saturday - Tortellini with Meat Sauce and Green Beans (I know...same meal two days in a row, but the sauce is enough for two days and I'm not sure if it'll last for me to make the meals a few days apart. My family won't mind at all!) - no shopping necessary

Sunday - Casserole, only need 1 lb beef!

Go here to see the original challenge and see what others are doing to meet it!

No comments: