Thursday, December 31, 2009

GM Cereals Alert!


I'm excited to share some great news for cereal lovers.

General Mills announced a commitment to further reduce sugar in cereals advertised to kids under 12 to single digit grams of sugar per serving. The company has already been reducing sugar in cereals while increasing key nutrients, such as calcium and vitamin D, and providing whole grain.

Did you know that ready-to-eat cereal eaters consume less fat, less cholesterol and more fiber than non-cereal eaters? Cereals also deliver important vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients, making cereal a top source of key nutrients in children´s diets.

Other cereal benefits:
  • Ready-to-eat cereals, including presweetened cereals, account for only 5% of sugar in children´s diets.

  • Ready-to-eat cereal is the No. 1 source of whole grains in a child´s diet today.

  • More frequent cereal eaters tend to have healthier body weights and lower Body Mass Index measures.
Studies also demonstrate the benefits of eating breakfast. A 1998 study showed that children who eat breakfast tend to perform better at school. Compared to children who skip breakfast, children who eat breakfast score higher on tests, are less likely to miss class or be tardy, have fewer reported discipline problems, and make fewer trips to the office.


(Info courtesy of General Mills)

We are big cereal eaters! I eat cereal every morning and my son and husband snack on dry cereals. I have been hesitant to buy anything other than Cheerios and Kix for my kiddo though because of the amount of sugar in most cereals. (We heavily monitor his sugar intake because of behavior issues.)

That being said, I'm so happy that General Mills has committed to reducing sugar in it's cereals while increasing the vitamins and minerals that are so important to development.

General Mills sent me 4 VIP coupons for FREE GM cereals to test the new cereals. I bought one typically higher sugar cereal (Cinnamon Toast Crunch) and then wimped out and bought Cheerios and two types of Chex for us to try.

We're two days into the Cinnamon Toast Crunch and my son's behavior hasn't changed!

That is a winner for me! I will continue to branch out what we serve to him and they will be General Mills cereals because of the lower sugar content!

The opinions expressed in this post are 100% my own and I have not received monetary compensation for them. I did receive 4 free coupons, coupon link, and information from General Mills.The coupons did not change my opinion.

No comments: