Monday, July 12, 2010

Book Review: The Fruitful Life

The Fruitful Life: The Overflow of God's Love Through You
The Fruitful Life: The Overflow of God's Love Through You
By: Jerry Bridges
Publisher: NavPress, 2006
192 pages, English


Book Description:
As we desire to be more like Jesus, we want to live loving, joyful lives. Yet loving our enemies seems impossible. Even being patient with our family is often difficult. How can we put on the gentle garments of grace when we're so busy battling our old behavior patterns?

Navigator author Jerry Bridges explains how to practice the “fruit of the Spirit” (Gal. 5:22-23):

• love
• joy
• peace
• patience
• kindness
• goodness
• faithfulness
• gentleness
• self-control

Learn how the Holy Spirit can help in your spiritual formation as you become a serious follower of Christ.

My Review:
I took my time with this one. I wanted to really read it and get as much from it as possible. I firmly believe that you can best interpret Scripture in light of other Scripture and that is what Bridges does. He could have gone in the direction of preachy or overly academic, but I think he found a nice balance for a casual reader. Each chapter is well thought out and explained and I love, love, love that there are study questions at the end of each. I'm about to start teaching a Sunday School class and I think this could be part of our curriculum in the future.

You can pick up a copy from Amazon HERE:















I was provided with a copy of the book by NavPress for the purpose of reviewing. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy, Jerry Bridges' classics--Discipline of Grace, Trusting God, Practice of Godliness, Transforming Grace, Respectable Sins--are now available as Sunday school curriculum. Hope this helps!