Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Book Review: Lioness Arising

Lioness Arising: Wake Up and Change Your World
Lioness Arising: Wake Up and Change Your World
By Lisa Bevere
WaterBrook Press, 2010
English, 240 pgs


Book Description:
Awaken.
The lioness rises from her slumber, a magnificent image of strength, passion, and beauty. Her mere presence commands the landscape, protects her young, and empowers the lion. In groups, lionesses become a creative and strategic force to be reckoned with, acting as one to change the world around them.

You too are a lioness.

In Lioness Arising, author and speaker Lisa Bevere offers the life and image of the lioness as a fierce and tender model for women. Revealing the surprising characteristics of this amazing creature, Lisa challenges women to discover fresh passion, prowess, and purpose.

Learn what it means to:

• be a stunning representation of strength
• fiercely protect the young
• lend your voice to the silenced
• live in the light and hunt in the dark
• raise a collective roar that changes everything

Packed with remarkable insights from nature and a rich depth of biblical references to lionesses, Lioness Arising is a call for women to rise up in strength and numbers to change their world.

Jesus is, after all, the lion of the Tribe of Judah.

We are his lioness arising.

My Review:
"There's nothing more dangerous than being in the presence of lions when they are fully awake."


This is my favorite line from this book. It seems as if there have been a lot of books lately about "waking up" and looking at the world around us and seeing where there are hurts and needs. I like that this one is geared toward women.

I made a comment the other day (teaching on Jael from the book of Judges) that I didn't think I could do what she did (kill the countries biggest threat and enemy). But then I had to correct myself: if someone was harming my child, I could be fierce and dangerous.

That's kind-of the point of this book. How upset to we have to be to spring into action? Why aren't we (as women) defending children that aren't even ours? Why aren't we (as women) speaking for those who can't?

I was already stirred to action from the Max Lucado book I just finished and reviewed. This book has only reinforced that stirring and has given me more to think about presenting to the other women in our church.

It's long past the time when women should be silent, meek, and in the shadows. Step up. Awaken.

The Pearl Alliance - combats human trafficking in Cambodia and Thailand
Life Outreach International - reaches, rescues and restores child human trafficking victims
The A21 Campaign - fights human trafficking in Eastern Europe

I received a copy of this book in exchange for the review. No additional compensation has been received and I was not required to write a positive review. Thank you to Shelby at Phenix and Phenix Literary Publicists for allowing me the opportunity to read this wonderful book.

1 comment:

Messenger International said...

Hello again!

We would love to use your review for future promotion. If you have any concerns with this, please email: SSeier@MessengerInternational.org.

Thanks. We love you!