Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Back to School/Football Wreath


The front of my house is exceedingly plain. I have a black thumb so I do not have pretty plants. We don't own the house so we can't change paint colors. So my method of decoration is wreaths. I've been trying to have a new wreath each month to reflect a holiday or something.

My September wreath is a Back to School/Football Season wreath. In Texas it would also classify as a Homecoming wreath since I used lots of little things the girls use on their mums.

I used two and a half lengths of silver garland. Green shiny paper stars, plastic homecoming cutsy things and glue dots. I used the only wreath frame available at my local superstore so it's a wrapped raffia type. I really wanted a styrofoam, but this was what they had.

I began my wrapping the garland around the frame. I secured each end and several places along the middle with the glue dots. Lots of glue dots. You can see in the above picture that I wrapped it pretty tight so it would be very full.

I was planning to use a Mardi Gras type beaded necklace as my hanger so I placed it across the wreath where it would be when on the door. Then I started placing the stars. Again...lots of glue dots. I found that the dots were removable with a little force if they're put in the wrong place, as was the case with the one at about 10-11 o'clock on the above picture.

Next step was just putting the football things on the wreath. I added one for the band. Because no football game is complete without the band.

At this point, I thought it would be better if I hung it on the door and worked on placement. I'm really glad I did that because I was able to see a big gap in things and that one star needed to be moved..

Anyway, here's the finished product. I'm really happy with it and cannot wait to get started on the next one for Halloween!









No comments: