Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Book Review: The Miner's Lady

The Miner's LadyBy Tracie Peterson
Bethany House, 2013
English, 336 pgs

Description:
When Chantel Panetta's younger sister claims to be in love with Orlando Calarco, Chantel knows there is no hope. The Panettas and Calarcos have been sworn enemies for decades, and young love cannot heal the deep wounds between the two iron-mining families. Yet, unable to resist Isabella's pleas, Chantel agrees to help her sister spend time with Orlando...only to have a run-in with Dante, Orlando's brother.

Chantel can't deny the attraction that flares when she's with Dante. But when a tragedy occurs at the mine, is there any hope that the hatred that has simmered between these two families might be resolved? Or will Chantel and Isabella's hope for love be buried amidst decades of misunderstanding?

Review:
I'm conflicted. I liked the book enough that I read it in three days. I liked the Italian American families and the budding city/industrial area aspect. I liked that it was well paced and that the romances (yep, two) were tender and respectful.

I didn't like that I could predict everything that would happen. But I also know that those of us who read Christian romance books are not looking for anything beyond the usual. There was one surprise in it and it almost felt like it was added afterward or something just to have another suspenseful part.

I'm not one to give away plot points so I can't say more than that, but a secondary story line felt rushed and trivial. It felt like it was there only as a "danger" aspect that really didn't add anything to the story.

However, like I said, I read it in three days. At the start, there seemed to be a lot of mining jargon that made it read kinda slow, but that lets up and the story moves into family ties, family feuds and romance.

It's a good book. Would be great for taking on a flight or something where you want something light to read.

I received a copy of the book in exchange for a positive review. No additional compensation has been received and all opinions are my own.

No comments: